Wednesday, April 5, 2017

a day in the life 2017

I last did this when Rhett was 1, and I've been meaning to do it again for some time. I'm sure I'll look back at this in a few months and laugh at the simplicity of life with one kid. But for the records, here's a "typical" day in the life with a 3.5 year old and 6 months pregnant.

5:40: Wake up. I've gotten into this great/terrible habit of climbing back into bed after going to the bathroom to snuggle Andre for a few minutes, which makes it even harder to get out of bed again.

5:50: Scripture study on the couch. I had every intention of going to the complex gym this morning and reading my scriptures on the bike, but then it snowed and I gladly stayed home. So it's scriptures on the couch and a YouTube pregnancy workout video that is basically choreographed walking with some leg lifts and a little ridiculous.
6:30: Rhett wakes up, Andre gives him a stack of books, I finish my workout and hop in the shower.

7:00: Family prayer before Andre heads to work. Rhett finishes reading books in his room until his clock turns green at exactly 7:05, then it's morning puzzles and books before a breakfast of oatmeal and yogurt.

7:45: I clean up the kitchen and get ready for the day while Rhett plays with his cars.

8:20: We bundle up for the snow and head to preschool. We're out the door a few minutes ahead of schedule even with the bundling, which is a total win. At school, Rhett drives his monster truck into his classroom for show and tell, we switch out his boots for tennis shoes, and give hugs.

8:35: Home and back in yoga pants. What's the point of working for home if not to be comfortable? I tidy up the house, then find a good spot on the couch to work and watch the snow fall.

9:45: Granola break and a move to the kitchen table. Today I'm tackling a big whitepaper on chatbots for a client and some smaller pieces on investing and artificial intelligence.

11:00: Finally straightening my hair, begrudgingly putting jeans back on, and packing a lunch.

11:30: Preschool pickup. Rhett is excited to share the artwork from the day (a letter X with stamps and some dinosaur coloring). We're on our way to Boulder for play group and eat a little lunch on the way while listening to Amelia Bedelia book on CD.

12:15: Rhett requests to drive past our old apartment on our way to Pearl Street, where we park and head to Ben and Jerry's to meet our friends for free ice cream. We are a sight to see, and it's a flurry of ice cream cones and small kids, but they have a great time and the moms enjoy talking.
1:45: I debate stopping at Costco on the way home, but Rhett falls asleep (!), so we just head home.

2:00: We're home and I gingerly try to transfer Rhett from the carseat to his bed. It's a delicate operation and he wakes up enough to ask why he has to rest, but I stick him in bed, close the door, and hope for the best.

2:05: He hasn't come out of his room yet, so I catch up on internet things and get some more work done.

3:30: This is definitely not a typical day. Rhett wakes up from his nap (naps never happen anymore!) and comes into the bed where I'm working so we can cuddle.

3:45: Book time on the couch. We make it through a huge pile of library books. Rhett does his best to try to get Thomas for his daily show, but I manage to sway him towards something more "educational," so Dinosaur Train it is.

4:45: Workbook time! Rhett is working through a Kindergarten book and surprises me when he points out the flags of Senegal and Honduras on the first try--who is this kid?
This is also literally the first time all day I realize I've dressed us both in buffalo check.
5:15: We have a Moana dance party and Rhett plays with a bouncy ball while I make dinner.

5:45: Andre is home! Happiness all around. Dinnertime, clean up, and family time. It's a blur during the one hour we all get together for the day.

7:00: It's snowing again, so the only people on the roads are the dog walkers and the Mormons headed to mutual. Tonight I'm talking general conference with the beehives. Who Said It: Prophet or Princess is a hit.

8:30: Home. Pajama time and finishing up some work things for the night while cruising house listings with Andre.

9:00. We turn on Bones. I'm feeling awake and alert the entire episode, until I fall asleep suddenly with 10 minutes to go. Andre wakes me up and tells me who the murderer was, just like every night.

10:30. Bed time.

Whew, a novel. This is a pretty standard preschool day, except for Rhett's nap, which is a rare occurrence these days. Our non-preschool days are full of the library, running errands, playing with friends, and going to the park.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. Thankyou for the information. I do like all the ideas introduced. Do People Always Leave You? 16 Powerful Signs You Are Sabotaging Your Relationships

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...