Sunday, November 8, 2015

book chat 3.0

Another round of books in the books. I've discovered the books I read basically fall into two categories: young adult or self help. So there you go.
Jennifer, Gwenyth, and Me  is basically "The Happiness Project" meets People magazine, so of course I loved it. Rachel Berthsche has a smart, witting writing style (I feel like we would be friends), and I identify with her life more than other writers (I'm looking at you, Gretchen Rubin). It was a charming, quick read about getting your life in order and being your best. Good choice.

This led to MWF Seeking BFF, Rachel Bertsche's first book. It was fun, slightly less applicable, but definitely underscored the importance of girlfriends. Still good, but not as good.

I read Matched for sister book club and zoomed right through it. It's a YA novel set in a futuristic dystopian society (imagine that), just like sooo many other books, but the difference is that it's actually a good book. It reminded me a lot of The Giver. The characters are well developed and the heroine is actually smart and nice and not totally irrational (unlike almost every other teen girl in every other teen novel). I started the second one but haven't gotten very into it yet. Maybe someday.

I'm so behind the times, but Wonder. Wow. I loved everything about it. Great characters, great story, great writing. It's already on my list of books I want to read with Rhett some day because it is so poignant and important. Everyone should read it and then cry. It's that good.

I binged a bunch of self-help books from the library and randomly ended up with Living Well, Spending Less. At first it seemed pretty typical, but I ended up really resonating with a lot of the things she said. I appreciated her emphasis on family and religion and following your dreams. The second part kind of fell apart for me, but the first section is worth at least a skim.

I'm anxiously awaiting my copy of Mindy Kaling's new book from the library, plus some time to read Crossed and maybe even an Alexander Hamilton biography, because why not? Any other suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Just added a few to my hold list! I recommend (along with everyone else) All The Light We cannot see. I've heard Nightingale is also wonderful but I am still waiting for a copy. I just started Junkyard Planet and five pages in it is interesting. I also read two home decorating books (I can dream, right,?) The Nesting Place and Design Mom, both we good reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your book recommendations so I know what to read. I just put Wonder on hold. Only 1 person in front of me so it looks like I'll be reading that next! I also have All the Light We CAnnot see on hold but im still 13 in line and it's been on hold since July...??? I just finished A Light Between Oceans. That was suuuuuper sad, but I couldn't put it down. It's one of those books that make you think "what would I do?"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...